In my work I interpret stories in ways that suggest their beauty or value and I strive to paint and design without obscure or vague conceptual statements.
Giovanni Tozzetti was born in Rome, Italy (1933) into a family with very deep roots in the Arts. His grandfather and two of his uncles were well known sculptors in Italy: the Fiordigiglio family. He studied drawing and sculpture in his childhood under the guidance of his uncle Vincenzo in Atelier of via Margutta, Rome. He has studied at the Scuola Statale delle Arti (National College of Arts) in Via Gesu’e Maria which further enriched and ultimately completed his academical mastering in fine arts. As his life progressed, his interests switched to more practical applications. He undertook study of mechanical engineering where a passion for industrial design was fomented. Leading on from this, he then proceeded to work for many years with various local and International engineering teams.
Moving To Australia
In 1972 Giovanni migrated to Australia and spent 4 years in Sydney working as a designer with the Kentcast Industries and another 4 years with the Otis Elevators Company. From there he decided to undertake freelance work, using modern computer software, and alternate between artistic and technical pursuits. Between 1981 and 1998 he was technically represented by the Entec Group of Companies (agents for technicians) and worked in many different fields with many different teams. Between 2009 and 2010, Giovanni was involved with the design work of a new industrial development for The Manildra Company in Nowra, NSW.
Giovanni has has his work shown at numerous group art exhibitions across Italy, Australia and the Philippines. Additionally, his work can be found in private collections across Italy, United Kingdom, USA, Australia and Cyprus.
Listed are some notable examples:
- He has had individual art exhibitions in 1990 in Limassol, Cyprus and in 1991 in Sydney at the Fairfield Arts Centre
- A retrospective exhibition of his work was also shown at the STEIN Gallery of Fairfield Museum at the Regional Heritage Centre
- His contemporary work has been exhibited in October 1997, at the Sydney Hilton
- In 2005, 2009 and 2015 his paintings and sculptures where exhibited at the Nowra Regional Arts Centre, on the South Coast of Australia
In a cultural exchange between the Shoalhaven City of Nowra, NSW and Fuzhon city of China his work was part displayed as part of a group exhibition
- In 2005 in Limassol, Cyprus his work was displayed at the Peters Gallery
- In 2006 in Nicosia, Cyprus his work was displayed at the Opus 39 Gallery
- In 2008 on Bribie Island, Queensland his work was shown at the MATTHEW FLINDERS Gallery
- In 2012 in Ulladulla his work was displayed at the Dunn Lewis Gallery
Giovanni has also given lectures on “Arts and Technology” at the University of Santo Tomas of Manila
- Performed the role of Treasurer of the Management Committee of the Fairfield Community ARTS Network (FCAN) for 4 years from 1988
- Was President of the Fairfield City Arts Society from 1991 to 1993, Vice President from 1994 and acting President from 1996 to 1997
- Had the role of Treasurer of Arts Alive from 1990 to 1996
- Was Curator of the Fairfield City Festival of the ARTS exhibitions from 1992 to 1996
- Founded and was first President of the CLUB MARCONI Art Association from 1996 to 1997
- Was tutor of sculpture for 4 years at the Ulladulla U3A from 2005 to 2009
For his community involvement, Giovanni was awarded on Australia Day in 1999 the Cultural Medallion of the City of Fairfield, NSW Australia